White Hot: The Hottest Kitchen Trends for 2015
White space is bright space—keep your kitchen bright with the trendiest colour of 2015. While some may consider white boring, others look to white to add modern drama and a minimalist flair to their space. Incorporating white into your kitchen scheme will enhance the look, feel, and comfort of your home's gathering place.
In feng shui, the colour white is often associated with purity, innocence, beginnings, and new possibilities. Despite the sense of newness that white evokes, it also symbolizes all things coming into oneâ€”white is a combination of all colours of the visible spectrum. White brightens the energy of any room and fills your subconscious with bright hope for all things to come in the future.
Adorning your walls with white paint, wallpaper, or tiles will allow your kitchen to feel clean, clear, and crisp. White walls don't require upkeep and yet they dish out an endless supply of energy to anyone visiting the kitchen.
- Paint: Although there are many shades of white to choose from, pick true white (China White, RMI-74 from Benjamin Moore) when you paint your kitchen walls. True white offers the perfect backdrop to colourful artwork, shiny appliances, patterned curtains, and funky flower arrangements.
- Tiles: If the majority of your walls are white, choose off-white tiles to create added dimensions to your kitchen space. Small tiles in various shapes and sizes offer an interesting focal point for an otherwise colourless wall.
- Wallpaper: Wallpaper comes in a variety of colours and patterns. Choose a wallpaper that has a white-on-white pattern so you can keep your guest's attention and still keep your house up-to-date with this year's hottest colour trend.
It's not too difficult to incorporate white into your kitchen in order to add energy to the most visited room in your house.
There are no ifs, ands, or buts about it: white appliances are the hot item of 2015. Although appliances take up quite a bit of space, they will help your kitchen feel clean, simple, and uncluttered. White appliances come in all shades and offer the perfect solution for someone who likes to keep their kitchen looking as modern as possible. The most common type of appliances that come in white include the following:
- Microwave oven
- Ice machine
If you can't afford new, white appliances, consider painting your current appliances white. If done well, re-painted appliances will modernize your kitchen space. Talk with your local paint store to choose the best white paint for your appliances.
Like white appliances, white cabinets will simplify the look and feel of your kitchen. White works like an eraser and will conceal unsightly blemishes while highlighting molding and details. New cabinets are incredibly expensive, so save money and paint your cabinets like a professional:
- Remove the cabinet doors
- Sand the cabinet doors and base
- Thoroughly clean the cabinet doors and base
- Paint the cabinet doors and base with a primer and sealer
- Paint the cabinet doors and base with thin coats of white paint
- Apply colour-glazing to the cabinet doors and base
- Remove access pigment with a clean brush
If new cabinet colours aren't a possibility, clean them often to ensure your cabinet space looks clean and uncluttered.
White countertops stand out. White countertops offer a clean workspace for those who love to cook and entertain. White countertops will help you keep calm while you cook up a storm. When it comes to white counters, there are options aplenty:
- White marble
- White-coloured butcher block
- White granite
- White concrete
Research the different options available in your area so you can get the most out of your simple, white countertop space.
If you're able to decorate your kitchen with white walls, white appliances, white cabinets, and white countertops, you may want to take it easy on white decorations. Some interior designers encourage their clients to use a white colour scheme and incorporate pops of colour throughout the room. Pantone announced that Marsala is the Colour of 2015—consider incorporating Marsala with the following:
- Flower arrangements (or pots)
- Chair covers
Don't overdo it with Marsala, just add a touch of colour so your white space stands out. If you don't have the means or time to whiten your space with appliances, wall coverings, cabinets, and countertops, choose white decorations so your space feels fresh and new for the new year.
Most people congregate in the kitchen. If your family does the same, you'll want to ensure their utmost satisfaction with comfortable kitchen chairs. Kitchen chairs come in all shapes, shades, and sizes. Unless you have young kids who are prone to spill, couple style and comfort and choose white kitchen chairs for 2015.
It doesn't take much to freshen up your space and make it seem brand new. Use these tips to keep your home up-to-date and stylish for the new year.